Sell Back for May 2023
Employees who are eligible for PTO sell back (Non-bargained and AFSCME, MNA/UMPNC & UPAMM bargained for employees) should submit a sell back request form to their department timekeeper or supervisor no later than:
- Sell Back Requests for Biweekly employees due to dept recipient: May 1 - 15, 2023
- Sell Back Requests for Monthly employees due to dept recipient: May 1 - 24, 2023
Meeting these request deadlines will ensure timekeepers have enough time to process forms. These dates may not coincide with deadlines outlined in the PTO policy or collective bargaining agreements.
Employees who participated in PTO Sell Back in January are ineligible for PTO Sell Back in May. If employees transferred into your department between January and May, you will need to verify that they didn’t participate in PTO Sell Back in January with their previous department. When doing a lookback, it’s important to check December through April, in case the previous department reported Sell Back in the incorrect pay period. There are three ways you can verify if Sell Back was reported for the January Sell Back:
- Review the December - April timesheet(s) for the PTB Sell Back code.
- Review the paychecks/gross pay for December-April for PTB use.
- Run the MTL_TRC_BY_GROUP query in M-Pathways. This query identifies the use of a time reporting code within a start and end date. To check for previously reported Sell Back, search for the PTB code and input a begin date of 12/1/2022 and the date you are running the query as the End Date. This will check for Sell Back which may have been reported in an incorrect pay period.
PTO Sell Back (PTB) should be reported in the following pay periods:
- Biweekly: Pay Period: 4/30 - 5/13
- Monthly: Pay Period 5/1 - 5/31
If for some reason the Sell Back hours are not reported (missed) before the appropriate payroll cut-off, you should report the hours as a prior period adjustment in the appropriate pay period (noted above) and allow the hours to pay out on the following paycheck.
Review full details/requirements of the PTO Sell Back process and form:
Time Reporting and Earn Code Resources
Available on the University Payroll website are four resources which can be helpful in verifying that time is reported and paid correctly.